|Title||Group portrait of the Founding Officers of Breckenridge Masonic Lodge No. 47 (Colo.)- -1880s|
|Collection||Breckenridge Masonic Lodge No. 47 A.F. & A.M. Collection|
|Description||Group portrait photograph taken by Otto Westerman of the Founding Officers of Breckenridge Masonic Lodge No. 47 circa late 1880s. Possibly taken at the Constituting or Instituting of the Breckenridge Lodge. The man seated on the far right is William McAdoo, a charter member of the Lodge and its first Secretary.|
The second Masonic Lodge in the Colorado Territory was chartered on June 5, 1861 in Parkville, a former town site south of Breckenridge. By August that year, Parkville Lodge No. 7 was declared one of three original Lodges of Colorado and renamed Summit Lodge No. 2. Tailings from mining activity in the Swan River Valley eventually buried the town of Parkville in the 1880s. Lodge members moved their organization a few miles south to Breckenridge and Lodge No. 47 was chartered September 20, 1882.
In 1882 Lodge No. 47 purchased placer ground from McAdoo to be used as a Masonic Cemetery. The Masonic Placer Cemetery is part of the Valley Brook Cemetery located at the historically northern edge of Breckenridge.
|Copyright||On loan to Breckenridge Heritage Alliance by Breckenridge Masonic Lodge #47 A.F. & A.M.|
|Credit line||From Breckenridge Masonic Lodge No. 47. Courtesy Dr. Sandra F. Mather Archives, Breckenridge Heritage Alliance.|